Sunnking is the FIRST R2 Certified Electronics Recycler In New York State!
R2 Solutions is a non-profit organization formed to administer and promote the R2 Standard, a comprehensive set of best management practices governing the environmental, health, safety and security aspects of the electronics recycling industry. R2 Solutions is responsible for promoting the standard, encouraging e-recyclers to become certified to R2, educating the public about responsible e-recycling and providing administrative support to the R2 multi-stakeholder Technical Advisory Committee. Additional information is available at www.r2solutions.org.
R2 (Responsible Recycling) Certified Electronics Recycling Facilities Must:
- Develop and use a management system that covers environmental, worker safety and public health practices on-site and downstream management of end-of-life (EOL) equipment and materials.
- Establish a policy that promotes reuse and materials recovery for EOL equipment and materials.
- Comply with environmental, health, and safety legal requirements, both domestically and internationally, that are applicable to the recyclers' operations.
- Use practices to reduce exposures and emissions during recycling operations.
- Export (or arrange for the export of) focus materials only to foreign countries that accept them.
- Focus materials are: cathode ray tubes (CRTs) and CRT glass; circuit boards (unless they have had batteries and mercury-containing items removed and are lead free); batteries; and items containing mercury and/or polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), both in EOL equipment and when separated as components.
- Send EOL equipment and all material derived from this equipment, that contain focus materials only to facilities that are properly licensed to receive these materials, and use technology designed to safely and effectively manage these materials - whether in the U.S. or another country.
- Ensure that an electronics recycler does not use energy recovery, incineration, or land disposal as a management strategy for focus materials or equipment and components containing focus materials. However, if circumstances beyond the control of the R2 recycler disrupt its normal management of a focus material, it may consider these technologies to the extent allowed under applicable law.
- Exercise due diligence in ensuring that downstream recyclers and processors manage recycled materials appropriately, throughout the downstream recycling chain.
- Ensure that materials going for reuse are refurbished and tested for functionality, and residual focus materials are managed responsibly.
- Ensure that personal data on EOL electronics going to reuse or recycling are cleared or destroyed.
- Track throughput and keep records; store and transport material securely and safely; and possess insurance, closure plans, and financial mechanisms to cover the potential risks of the facility.
For more information about R2 Certification please visit r2solutions.org
(Click on the image above to download a copy of Sunnking's R2 Certification)